Pages

Wednesday, March 27

No Poo to you too!

I'm here to preach.

Just kidding. Sort of.

Most women have one small thing that they have control over, that they obsess with. I mean things like, the well being of your toenails, or they take pride in their tan, or their eyes. You get the picture. Me? It's my hair. My hair is my baby, and I take care of it better than anything else.

There are a lot of things I've done to take care of my hair over the past few years. My hair is(was) really damaged, because I went through this crazy hair dyeing phase a few years ago where I dyed the bottom layer of my hair cherry red. It was really cool, and I'd still be doing it if I wasn't 18. Oh, and if it hadn't completely destroyed my hair. ;) This required bleaching it often, and then depositing a highly pigmented dye onto my hair every few weeks. I didn't do it as often as I was supposed to, because I was concerned for my poor hair...when I stopped dyeing my hair, I went it to defensive mode with my hair, trying to repair the damage. I'm proud to report that my hair is pretty dang healthy now. That's due to a LOT of things that I do for my hair, but I'm gonna talk about only one of these things. One fairly new thing.

No Poo.

If you frequent the Beauty and Health boards on Pinterest, you probably know to what I'm referring. to clarify, it's no SHAMpoo.

The main reason I tried it is just because I wanted to try it. I'd heard a LOT of good reviews, and I thought, why not?

Here's MY results, take them for what you wish:

-My hair is considerably less frizzy/dry.

-My hair doesn't get as oily as quickly.

-My hair feels AMAZING.

-My hair doesn't get a post-shampoo funky smell.


Okay, dissection time. Pretend you're in highschool biology for a minute...

-My hair is considerably less frizzy/dry. Let me give you two thousand words or so on this.

I'm using this first picture as a "before" picture. This is the best representation of my frizzy hair. It wasn't always this frizzy, depending on the month, but this is a general idea of how frizzy my hair usually was. My older sister likes to call me Hermione, for this exact reason. My hair gets big. The biggest problem is cuz I like to let my hair air dry.

Noooow for my after pictures. *drumroll* This one is one I took on Saturday. Please notice how, not only is it significantly less frizzy, but my curls are a lot nicer.

And dis one I took like, 5 minutes ago, just for you. Funny lighting, my hair looks a different color. Forgive meh.

The basic idea is that my hair is a LOT nicer. I've been doing No Poo for about a month, and it's the only thing I've changed in my hair care, because I wanted to properly gauge it's effect. I'm still using the same hair toner, I take the same amount of Biotin, and I still use the same amount of heat on my hair. NOTHING else has changed. My hair has just decided to de-frizz.


-My hair doesn't get as oily as quickly. You'd think this contradicts the last one, since my hair isn't as dry anymore. The magic in No Poo is that it doesn't strip your natural oils, so they don't reproduce as quickly, therefore leaving you with less oily hair. My second day hair doesn't required ANY dry shampoo any more. Not even my bangs.


-My hair feels AMAZING. You'd have to come to New Mexico to attest to this one. Just take my word for it. It feels super soft. Even my ends, which are generally the driest part of my hair.


-My hair doesn't get a post-shampoo funky smell. I don't know if anyone else gets this smell. Maybe it depends on the shampoo, or the person. But occasionally, by the end of the day(rarely) or on second day hair, my hair would smell...funky. Like, not like it would STINK, but if you smelled it, it wouldn't be pleasant. I wouldn't let people touch my hair unless I'd washed it like, 10 minutes prior. Usually. My second day hair doesn't even smell. At all.


The only downfall I see to this, is that my hair doesn't have any nice fragrances from the shampoo, like strawberries or cucumber or Koala food. BUT I've heard you can put a few drops of essential oil on your hair brush, which will make your hair smell nice. Never tried this, but YOU could.

Last thing, my friends. My older sister is a cosmetologist and worked at a high end salon for two years before college. I called her to verify the idea behind No Poo, just to make sure it wouldn't be damaging at all. And she said that not only was it not harmful, that the science behind it made perfect sense and that it would be GOOD for my hair.

I was sold.

http://coderedhat.com/no-poo-method/

That's the article I learned from.

It's simple. You shampoo with baking soda and water, and then condition with vinegar and water.

It's amazing. You can thank me later.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't gone completely "no poo" yet. For now, I dilute my shampoo with chamomile tea, so I'm using a lot less shampoo than I used to and it still gets the job done. I love putting tea in my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read about using tea in your hair and I've wanted to try it for forever. Maybe I'll try that next. :)

      Delete
  2. *sniffles* Dude. I just got new shampoo. I'm so torn right now.

    ReplyDelete

Compliments