Pages

Wednesday, February 19

Beauty on the Go



Hey ya'll.

I'm in Texas right now, so that's a fitting greeting, right? Right. Basically, I'm traveling in a van towing a trailer across the United States for over six months. We hop from place to place every two weeks, often driving several hours a day a couple days a week to get to our next destination.

Up sides: I am traveling the U.S. and making new friends and seeing what there is to see.
Down sides: If I'm not careful I go around looking like a hobo.

With my short curly hair and pale as snow skin I've had crazy trouble looking presentable while on this trip. My hair seems prone to oiling up super fast no matter when I've washed it. It drives me nuts! As if that's not annoying enough, my skin does the same thing. It feels a little like they're conspiring against me.

So here's a couple tips for beauty on the go.

1) Invest in a spider clip, bobby pins, and simple beauty techniques
No matter long or short hair, bobby pins and a spider clip work wonders. Pull it up all messy like into the clip and pin down some fly aways and you've got yourself an instant classy laid back look. Learn some braiding and twisting techniques as well, it'll add dimension and intrigue to an otherwise drab look. If all else fails, slick it back into a tight ballerina bun or French twist. Chic and easy.

2) When you have the chance to shower, DO IT. 
Do not say no to a shower. When you have the chance, take it. 

3) Get some baby wipes
Use these to wash your face. Baby wipes are designed to be gentle on your skin, so these shouldn't make you break out and they'll help make it harder for dirt and oil to build up in your pores and create mass breakouts.

4) Take advantage of rest stops 
As unsavory as it sounds, go into that gas station bathroom and rinse your face with some real water. Make sure they have paper towels to dry your face off before you do otherwise that could end up really awkward. Also, bring a small bottle of mouth wash in with you. It'll make you feel so much better about the stinky snacks you're eating while on the road.

5) Wear comfy clothes on the drive. 
I have a pair of yoga sweats, leggings, and jeans that I love. You're going to be cramped in a small space for a large period of time, and you might be tired. You don't want tight material pinching your legs uncomfortably or bunching funny when you try to maneuver your way into a semi comfortable position to catch a nap. Wear a t-shirt you feel good in even after it's stretched a bit, and grab a jacket to throw on top or a scarf to make it an outfit when you stop to get out and stretch. Play around with what you have. Don't forget a pair of comfy shoes. I suggest a pair of easy slip on shoes. Seriously, take them off while in the car and then easily slip them right back on when you have to get out.

6) Get a good brand of dry shampoo that works for you. 
Dry shampoo absorbs oil and gives your roots a blast of volume. You can put it in the night before or let it sit in your hair for ten minutes the next morning, whatever works best for you.

7) Minimal make up 
I go without make up most traveling days. With how much I touch my face, or press my face against the window/pillow/seat, it rubs into my pores and causes nasty breakouts. If I want to look more than a ghost of myself I'll splash on some blush and a little brown eye shadow as eyeliner. Other than that, I go bare faced. If you're in a sunny area, spend some time tanning your face. It'll help bring out rosy tones in your skin and give you a more healthy glowing look.

8) Wash and moisturize your face 
Always wash your face at the end of the day. If you don't have running water, use a water bottle to wet a rag or something. GET IT DONE. You'll thank me later. Then, use a moisturizer of your choice.  Hydrate that skin.

9) Drink as much water as your bladder will allow 
Don't dehydrate yourself while you're on a road trip. It's worth the extra bathroom breaks to keep yourself hydrated. It's good for your skin, it's good for your body, and you'll feel good. Okay? Okay.

10) Exercise a little. 
Did you know exercise can actually help even out your skin tone? If that's not enough of an incentive, remember that sitting in the car all day hurts your back and can leave you feeling a little pudgy by the end of the trip. Avoid the worst of it! You might feel stupid, but when you're out of the car do some jumping jacks. Do some sit ups. Get out your wiggles. Stretch. Exercise!

11) Prepare to not care 
No matter what you do, you'll probably end up a little bedraggled. That's okay, own it! Look confident and nobody will question you (too much). Think of it this way: They're going about their average lives and you're on vacation. HA!

~La vie est belle, Bri~

1 comment:

  1. I wish to convey my gratitude for your kindness for visitors who absolutely need assistance with that idea. Your real dedication to passing the message all over had been pretty practical and has without exception enabled associates much like me to realize their targets. Your own warm and friendly key points indicates a lot to me and extremely more to my mates. With thanks; from each one of us. Cara Meyembuhkan Kutil Kelamin dari Dokter Spesialis de Nature

    ReplyDelete

Compliments